[Lug-Nuts] Setting up ADSL for Linux with multiple hosts questions

From: JC (choyj@netcom.com)
Date: Tue Aug 31 1999 - 11:17:17 PDT

Hello,

I'm sending this message again because I think I my last message was sent when
the server was down.

Roseville is finally offerring ADSL in my area and I will have one installed
next week. I would like to install RedHat Linux 6.0 on my PC as a gateway to
the outside world. Linux will be on all the time. I would also like to install
another machine on the same network via a hub running Windows 98 as my play
machine (games, development, etc.). The Win98 machine will be an on and off
system. I was thinking of the following 2 configurations:

       ________ ________
      | | | |
      | Redhat | | Win 98 |
      | Server | | |
      | | | |
      |________| |________|
           | |
           | _____ |
           |_____| HUB |___|
                 |_____|

                   ADSL
                  Bridge

Is this configuration possible with the Linux environment or must I have
something like this:

               ________ ________
              | | | |
 ADSL ________| Redhat | | Win 98 |
Bridge | Server | | |
              | | | |
              |________| |________|
                   | |
                   | |
                   |_______________|
                    Crossover cable

In this configuration, I would have 2 network cards in the RedHat Server.

Which one is most feasible and easy to setup? How will my Win98 machine
be recognized with the same IP address? Or is my only solution to get 2
IP addresses on the same ADSL line? Is there a web page on how to set
something like that up?

I just want to run my own web/ftp server and at the same time, be able to
browse the web with my Win98 environment and play Quake-like type Internet
games with the Win98 machine. All this on the same IP. Is this do-able?

My other question is in regards to domain names. I chose a static IP
configuration with Roseville Telephone hoping to apply a domain name to my
IP. I heard that Network Solutions/Internic requires you to have a
domain name server and a backup domain server to host your own domain name.
Is there another solution where I can have someone else host my domain name?

Perhaps we can have a PPP/networking Installfest in the future? :P

Regards,
Jack Choy
choyj@netcom.com