Re: [Lug-Nuts] Setting up ADSL for Linux with multiple hosts questions

From: Scott Tyson (tysons@deepwell.com)
Date: Tue Aug 31 1999 - 13:31:37 PDT

I have Roseville ADSL already and it might be better than a modem but
overall it really has dissapionted me as a service. I have ISDN now
(had it for almost 3 years) with Deepwell and I get consistent steady
bandwidth (Deepwell has a DS3 into Electric Lightwave). With Roseville
ADSL I get very erratic bandwidth. Some files will download at 50Kbs and
some come in at 5Kbs. Do some traceroutes to 208.45.224.1, that is the
gateway I'm using. It's pretty poor most of the time. High hops and
high response times. Their provider is Qwest and Qwest's peering sucks
big time. Your 7-9 hops just to hit a major backbone (mostly Sprint
routing from what I've experienced). I'm a gamer and I get far better
ping times on my ISDN with Deepwell than I get on Roseville's ADSL. I
can get 1 Quake2 server to ping under 100ms on Roseville ADSL and I have
over 25 to choose from on ISDN. I sure am glad my work is paying for
the ADSL line. I hope your experience is better than mine. Again if
your going from a modem to ADSL its going to a be a gain but if you have
ISDN with a good provider now you might find your gaming enjoyment is
not improved or in my case reduce greatly. I also tried an ftp install
of Redhat. It failed 4 times (timeouts). I hen did it over my ISDN line
on the first try. Those of you with pachell ADSL, you have a much better
setup. Not the best it could be (particularly when they start to
oversell it) but Pachell seems to be learning a little bit from past
mistakes. They have decent peering and IBM's backbone is pretty good.
Most Pachell ADSL users I know get great, sometimes erratic pings to the
local Quake servers, unlike Roseville ADSL.

As far as your setup question goes I'll be doing the same thing
eventually (Deepwell is going to offer xDSL soon). I was going to plug
the internet side of a dual NIC Redhat server into the ADSL modem and
then plug a hub into the private network side of the Redhat server. The
Redhat server would do DHCP to all the clients and I'm assuming
ip-masquerading as well. I'll use IPCHAINS for the firewall rules.

Roseville will charge you even more for the domain setup. That would be
a domain hosting service which is above and beyond the ASDL. Plus at
128Kbs upload speeds (its hard capped, I tested it) don't expect to run
a busy WWWor FTP site. You can run multiple PC's at home playing games
(2-3 easy) and surf the net/email without any problems.

Check out this link https://www.seifried.org/lasg/ for IPCHAINS/Firewall
setup and
this link http://www.psionic.com/abacus/portsentry/ for a good port
monitor.

good luck.

PS. For those gamers on the list I run local Quake2 and Quake3 servers.
Dual PII400, 256 megs of ram and Redhat 6.0, only 1 hop off a DS3.
Check out http://rand.deepwell.com if your interested. And yes the
admin is an LPB, usually under 60ms if I'm playing.

PSS. I consider online games or streaming audio /video the ultimate test
of a good ISP. Try an internet Radio station with your current provider
(I recommend www.hardradio.com) and see how long it stays up without
going down. I go 4-8 hours between interrupts on weekends. Expect the
best, your paying for it.

Scott.