Re: [Lug-Nuts] Sac Unix User Group (SacUUG)

From: Brian Lavender (brian@brie.com)
Date: Sat Oct 02 1999 - 22:32:01 PDT

sacLUG or LUGS is a SIG of Sacramento PC Users Group. If you decide
to operate as a SIG of sacLUG then you are under SACPCUG umbrella, so
you have to get approval from the committee. There are actually certain guidelines
we operate under. They are fairly lenient. I should post them to the site.

To really answer your question, I think you are going to find the people
you are looking for are in sacLUG. I think the biggest issue you present here
is the BSD vs. Sys V, a line I just crossed a few minutes ago. I have
to say I tend to favor the BSD side better. We can in fact see that Linux
has the BSD derivative Slackware and most other distros are Sys V.
I checked out FreeBSD and it does seem to be more refined.

Before I started with Linux I worked on IRIX, and I find all the tools
that I used there are applicable in Linux. Since Linux is a Un*x type
operating system, I hope to encompass areas of Un*x. Were
there some areas of Solaris you wanted to cover. We have a couple
Solaris boxes at my work. The thing I find with our machines is that all
the good tools are the GNU tools. Linux includes all the GNU tools.

brian

--
Brian Lavender
http://www.brie.com/brian/