Re: [lug-nuts] XSspeed!

From: Sean-Paul Rees (sean@dreamfire.net)
Date: Mon Nov 22 1999 - 14:11:08 PST

Brian Lavender wrote:

> About ten months ago I dropped by their office here in downtown and
> tried it out. It works pretty good as as speed goes, but latency
> sucks. Personally I would go with ISDN. When I had ISDN I could crank
> 16.5 kbytes/sec using MLPPP with a 16C650 uart. I used a serial board
> from http://www.byterunner.com
>
> I think XS goes 256, so you could see 32 kbytes/sec with it, but IMHO
> I would go ISDN. ISDN can go almost anywhere.
>
> I remember the guy wanted to give a demo at one of the LUG meetings. If you
> are interested, I could contact him and we could set up for the january
> meeting.

Well, it goes 256, 512 (which is what I would pay for), and "wide open"
with bandwidth up to 1.544mbit sec.

Well, they say that they can service me provided there aren't any
line-of-sight problems. I'd rather have the 512, as ISDN really is slow
(I can get IDSL at 144/192 which is ISDN but always on).

I'd like to see a demo, seeing as I won't have the money until at least
Jan.

Cheers,
Sean