Re: [Lug-Nuts] newbie printing stuff

From: Brian Lavender (brian@brie.com)
Date: Mon Feb 07 2000 - 09:27:09 PST

On Mon, Feb 07, 2000 at 01:28:16AM -0800, Daniel de Young wrote:
> Sounds like a case of PAM authentication (but I'm still learning :-)
>
> If your using 'sudo' then try just a regular 'su' session.
>
> sometimes I have to type xhost +localhost to run RedHat admin tools from
> an su'd terminal window. try...
>
> $> xhost +localhost; /usr/bin/printtool &
>
> also try using /usr/bin/control-panel as this will launch printool.
>
> I hope you get it running because I've had awesome luck getting windows
> shared printers working with the samba package :-) I'm currently using
> an HP 2000c that sits on an NT trusted multi domain environment at work
> and it works perfectly (after a little tweaking!).

So you were able to configure remote printing to a printer attached to an NT
machine on your network? You used the Red Hat print configuration tool to
do this? What does your printcap look like? Can you post a copy to the list?

I have a printer which prints directly to an HP Laserjet 5si which has a
Jet Direct card, but it acts just like a BSD LPR deamon. I think Beth's
printer is connected directly to her windows machine through a paralell
cable. I would be curious to see your setup especially if it is using
samba as a client.

And of course I might have to take a look at Red Hat again.

brian

--
Brian Lavender
http://www.brie.com/brian/