Re: [Lug-Nuts] newbie printing stuff

From: Rick Johnson (rick@pointman.org)
Date: Mon Feb 07 2000 - 09:51:59 PST

Ok, i've got the identical setup at home and it was a no brainer using
RedHat's pritttool. All you do is check the box for printing to a remote
SMB printer. Then imput the ip address, share name and any
username/password that is needed. Then select the proper printer (or a
campatible one) from the list it gives.

Here is my printcap entry:

[rick@local1 ~]$ more /etc/printcap
#
# Please don't edit this file directly unless you know what you are doing!
# Be warned that the control-panel printtool requires a very strict
format!
# Look at the printcap(5) man page for more info.
#
# This file can be edited with the printtool in the control-panel.

##PRINTTOOL3## SMB cdj550 300x300 letter {} DeskJet550 3 1
lp:\
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp:\
        :mx#0:\
        :sh:\
        :lp=/dev/null:\
        :af=/var/spool/lpd/lp/acct\
        :if=/var/spool/lpd/lp/filter:

The file that tells it where to print is /var/spool/lpd/lp/.config:

[rick@local1 /etc]$ more /var/spool/lpd/lp/.config
share='\\local2\HP'
hostip=192.168.0.15
user=''
password=''
workgroup='LAN'

Unless i'm mistaken, Beth is having problems running printtool itself. If
that is the case, please post the exact errors that are coming up and i'l
see if I can help.

-Rick